HEAD OF TECHNICAL OPERATIONS
- Industry / Sector: General Insurance
- Location: Lagos, Nigeria
- Date Posted: 21-Sep-2015
Our client is a foremost multi-line Insurance Company offering a diverse range of products and services covering general and special risks, as well as life insurance. With its strengthened corporate identity and business model, the company is positioned to play a central role in the transformation of the insurance industry in Nigeria through its established subsidiaries.
In line with this desire, our client is currently seeking to appoint an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Head of Technical Operations.
Detailed Job Description:
To build distinctive capabilities in the core insurance functions of Claims, Underwriting and Reinsurance and provide requisite expertise in these three areas in furtherance of the Company’s corporate aspirations and strategic objectives.
Functions & Responsibilities
- Responsible for overall management of the Claims ,Underwriting and Reinsurance Division which includes setting strategic direction and objectives for the division
- Lead and drive the formulation of group-wide Claims , Underwriting and Reinsurance policies and enforcement of their implementation for advancing group objectives
- Establish Group Claims, Underwriting and Reinsurance framework in compliance with international standards and principles
- Articulate overall Claims processing policies and strategies at enterprise level and for the different sectors/market segment the Company operates
- Articulate the principles and define guidelines for evaluation, acceptance and underwriting of risks
- Establish infrastructure, systems and processes for identifying, managing, controlling and reporting Claims across the business
- Provide expertise on Client’s risks and maximize returns on investment products or credit offerings.
- Evaluate performance of direct reports for compliance with established Claims, Underwriting and Reinsurance policies and objectives of the company and contributions in attaining objectives
- Maximize reinsurance capabilities for the Company by designing profitable reinsurance mechanism and establish best standards for Reinsurance operations
- Perform other functions as assigned by the Group Managing Director
- Dealing proactively with day to day business inquires.
- Training and growing junior technical staff, to help them grow in the organization.
Qualification / Professional Membership
Bachelors of Science degree in Insurance/ Business/ Social Science
Masters of Science degree Insurance/ MBA
Professional Certification - Chartered Insurance Institute of Nigeria or Chartered Insurance Institute (UK)
Skills / Competence Requirement
Extensive knowledge of Insurance operations and the procedures of core Underwriting, Claims, Statistical and Sales departments
Capability of interacting and maintaining close relationship with existing and potential clients and brokers.
In-depth understanding of risk assessment and Laws and Legislation of the insurance industry
Vast knowledge of the Insurance industry both within and outside the country
Proficient Use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
Ability to motivate teams
Excellent leadership skills
Conflict resolution skills
Proactive in taking responsibility, identifying problems and proffering solutions
Ability to work under pressure
Effective interpersonal relationships
Excellent communication (oral & written)
Ability to make decisions and stand by them
15 - 20 years in the Insurance industry
Minimum of 10 years in managing the technical aspects of the business.
At least 5 years should be at a Senior Manager level.